Monday, May 25, 2009

What You'd Hear If You Were A Fly On Our Wall...

Here are a few random, unsolicited quotes from various members of our crew. You know how it is when somebody says something that evokes a good giggle, or elicits that lump-in-your-throat, tender feeling? Well, that happens every day at our house (what with so many of us talking, how could it not?), and usually we go about our day and in the natural course of events, they are eventually forgotten. I decided I’d preserve a few.

“What exactly was God doing here? Why would He just put all these rocks up here?”
~said by Harold, high in the mountains of Utah.

“I don’t love this place.”
~said by MaKenzie, with a cute wrinkled-up nose, upon smelling the sulfurous mud pots of Yellowstone.

“I wouldn’t trade this vacation for a million dollars.”
~said by Jonas, after seeing the first of two black bears.

“I couldn’t really tell anyone about this (Yellowstone); they’d have to see it for themselves.”
~said by William, toward the end of the first full day in Yellowstone,
having seen 4 bears, a coyote, pronghorn, buffalo, elk, and tons of natural beauty.

“You are stu-pid, stu-pid, everyone is stu-pid, everyone in his or her own way…”
~sung, in perfect tune, by Jared. It was his version of the Barney song, “You are special, special, everyone is special, everyone in his or her own way.”

Just to be clear, we really DO discourage his use of the word "stupid" and normally I try not to laugh about it. But, to be honest, when a little boy who wasn't supposed to talk actually manages to SING ON KEY, and creatively change the lyrics, and still make the song make sense...I gotta' say, I'm impressed! It's all in the perspective. Yes, he's demanding. Yes, he's loud & obnoxious sometimes. Yes, he doesn't always obey as well as he should. But, considering what he wasn't supposed to be able to do or be--all those things are GOOD NEWS! I'll take demanding, loud, obnoxious and disobedient ANY DAY over dead. God has blessed this little boy with a major attitude and a major sense of humor. I'm so blessed to be his momma.“I’ve got something stuck in my teeth.” ~said by Cody.
“Well, here, I’ll eat it.” ~said by John Wesley
That was all I heard. But, what I didn’t hear, was Jonas saying he didn’t want the rest of something he was eating. John Wesley was actually answering Jonas, not Cody. It was funnier when I thought he was answering Cody.

“Me & food, we have a thang.” (yes, it was said with a long a sound)
~said by John Wesley…several times…


"Lena, you're my best friend."
~said by MaKenzie out of the blue...and for the record, it had nothing to do with the lollipop, she had said it BEFORE Lena had the enticing lollipop.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with William. You can not just tell anyone about Yellowstone, a person has to see for themself how wonderful and beautiful it is. The first time I saw it I had the exact same thoughts as William.
You all are really bringing back fantastic memories.
Love, Mamaw

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
Just got your e-mail. What a great trip you are having! Enjoyed reading about what you have seen. Hope to do this (shorter version) with my family. We miss you all. Stay safe and keep us posted.
Bryan

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan! Good to see you here, too! Your family would have a great time out here. There is so much to see & do.

See ya' in a couple weeks!

Kay, I agree with William, too. Even looking at the pictures I'm posting, they don't really do justice to the real thing. It's so much more vast and brilliant!

Love,
Lori