Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Camping is Dirty Business...

We camped for three nights in the Trailer Village Campground at Grand Canyon. This campground isn’t one with large wooded lots. Campers are crowded side by side in order to accommodate as many as possible. No awnings were out and the ground wasn’t covered in kid-friendly ground cover. It was a dark brownish-black sandy dirt that stuck to shoes, feet, hands, and faces. Need a demonstration?
Our entertainment while at the campground consisted of 2 or 3 episodes of our current Walton’s series and watching Cody and Jonas perfect their bicycle stunts. In the evening the boys and Lena were lucky enough to chance upon a herd of elk grazing at the lower end of the campground. Grand Canyon is sort of cultural melting pot. I don’t know that I’ve ever been in any location where I have observed and heard a wider variety of languages and cultures than here. I’m so pleased that the children (and us bigger kids) are having this opportunity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am having such a fun time reading about your trip. This is really a memory making trip. Enjoy your time....Harold, you always have time to stop for pictures.

Lori in KY said...

Hey, Robyn! Really, the memories we're making are priceless. I think I've convinced him, he's becoming less driven every day. He didn't even complain when the kids & I spent nearly two hours shopping in the souvenir shops the other day! He's coming along...