Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bus-Schooling...

We are spending today traveling to Chicago. It’s actually a CAP related trip for Harold, and we get to go with him. Sadly, the father of one of the CAP volunteers passed away.  Harold and several of the volunteers are going to attend the funeral.  We're taking CAP's bus and Harold is driving.
 
CAP's bus is similar to ours, only newer and bigger.  The kids have all made comments about the seats, which are much more comfortable than ours. Instead of bringing their regular school work, I had them each pick a book to read, and they will spend part of each day reading a few chapters. So, today, we’re bus-schooling. I’ll actually be getting to read some myself. I’m pre-reading a few books, trying to decide which ones John Wesley will read next year. It’s a treat for me since some of them are books I never got around to when I was in school. I brought Willa Cather’s My Antonia with me for this trip. John Wesley and William are each reading some Mark Twain, and Jonas impressed me by picking a book that is much longer than his typical fare.  
Right now we're at the hotel waiting for Harold to come back and pick us up to go eat Chicago style hot dogs.  I didn't know there were Chicago-style hot dogs.  I'll let you know how they are!  :)  One of the girls that came with us actually lives nearby so she and the other volunteers will be staying at her house.  Harold and I and the kids will stay in a hotel and spend tomorrow sight-seeing and riding the "L."  I'm sure I'll have more pictures to share of our trip soon!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, the Chicago hot dogs are the best! And you really must have a Gino's East Pizza's stuffed spinach pizza. Trust me. YUMM!
Also, be sure to go to the Chicago Children's Museum - It's on Navy Pier. Have fun!!

Lori in KY said...

Paisley,
Harold enjoyed the hot dogs. I ended up getting an Italian steak sandwich! The stuffed spinach pizza sounds gooooood. We're heading back to KY Saturday. Too bad we won't be here at the same time! It'd be fun to meet up. Enjoy your trip, too!
~Lori

Becca said...

I read "My Antonia" in a short term class at Berea. LOVED it. I hope you enjoyed it as well! I'm so excited that you got a chance to read! When does that happen???? lol