Thursday, March 25, 2010

Crazy Love Party and Haiti...


So...this post is a bit out of my comfort zone.  Way out of my comfort zone, in fact.  But, I really believe it is part of an answer to prayer. 

In my post a couple days ago, I talked about my excitement (and anxiety) about the upcoming missions trip to Haiti that John Wesley and I will be taking in May.  I even asked for your prayers for necessary provisions and supplies.  But I didn't come straight out and ask for your help.  I might never have done so.  But GOD knew me and knew I would need a nudge so...

This morning, I visited the blog of a sweet fellow adoptive momma and found her post titled Crazy LOVE and I knew it was time to reach out to the body of Christ and express our need.  After all, this need is not for selfish gain.  What I am asking for, I am asking for so that Christ can be made alive to the people of Haiti.  So that His love can be shown and His comfort given.  We want to go to Haiti in order that we can meet needs and in the long run, be a part of something bigger and more significant than ourselves.

So, here are the things you need to know in order for this post to be part of the Crazy Love Party!
  • Our family is one of the founding families of a new church plant here in Paintsville, Kentucky.  We helped to plant Mountain Community Fellowship about 4 years ago with the intention of bringing Christ to our community and to reach out and make a real difference in the lives of the 91% of unchurched people in our area.  My husband is an elder in the church and I have recently been working with a few of the youth who are forming a praise band.
  • In answer to the question of tithing...of course we tithe.  Please know I'm not saying that to boast, simply to answer the question Linny said we needed to answer  :) .  The Lord has always abundantly met our *needs* and even most of our wants and I can't imagine NOT tithing.  It's all HIS, after all.
  • Our PRIMARY need, of course is for prayers, but our physical need is for money to cover the cost of airfare and lodging in Haiti.  During our mission trip, our group will be helping to build an orphanage for Hope in the Light ministries and doing whatever is necessary to serve and bring the Gospel of Christ to the precious people who live in the area where we will be staying.  Things we hope to do during the week we will be there include a possible free medical clinic, do various activities with the children who attend the mission's school, and visit a nearby hospital and minister to the patients there.  Our pastor is going also and will be doing some minstry with the area pastors.
  • If you have questions about the trip or that you would like to ask of me, you can email me at underwoodlori@yahoo.com
I'm looking forward to this trip and most of all seeing God at work in the whole process!  If anyone feels led, I would appreciate your continued prayers and of course, if the Lord lays it on your heart to contribute financially, that would be an added blessing. 

Crazy Love is the kind of love that we are called to have by Christ.  It's the kind of love that I believe causes us to reach out and meet each other's needs, whether it's bringing a child into our family through adoption, or going to a new, strange country to bring the Gospel, or providing the means for others to do these things.  We need more Crazy Love in this world!!  Thanks, Linny, for your Crazy Love!  Y'all enjoy the party!

4 comments:

Mom Of Many said...

With tear-filled eyes I write - you did an awesome job posting and I am so excited to see what God is going to do. Yippee Jesus!! xo

PS Email me at APlaceCalledSimplicity@yahoo.com

In the subject put: CrazyLove- Haiti

Leah Wentzel said...

I have been going around and donating to all the people who are linked on Linny's site that have "chip in" buttons. besides that I don't know how to donate to people who don't.

just a thought, i would add one :)

btw, when I say I am donating to all I mean only a few dollars to each. but if everyone that read her blog did it what a difference it would make!

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

yes, add a chip in button or paypal link.... I cant wait to see how God is going to use you ont his trip!

Liz said...

Your story is so inspiring :)
Our family will commit to pray for you through your journey!!

And we would love to send you al ittle somthing as well... please email me the address where is should be sent at thedarlings06@comcast.net

God Bless you my Friend!!
~Liz