Thursday, October 29, 2009

John Wesley's Egg Hatchery...


If left unattended, it's untelling what John Wesley and Grandpa will have gotten into in a day's time.   One of the reasons I'm loving having Mom & Dad living on the same property with us is that our children have the opportunity to pop over there when they come up with an idea, and usually Grandpa can help them figure out how to make it work.  On this evening, Mom & Dad were keeping most of my crew while I took one of the kids for an appointment.  When I went over to collect the kids, I found that John Wesley and Grandpa had created their very own made-from-scratch egg incubator.  John Wesley's been looking at them to buy online and had decided he didn't want to wait till he'd saved enough to buy one, so he (after much research online and with a little help from Grandpa) came up with a way to make one.


They used a styrofoam cooler, parts from an old lamp, glass from a picture frame, an unused dimmer switch, a random container to hold water, and a thermometer/hydrometer.  Voila'! An incubator for around 11 dollars.  Much "cheep"-er (ha ha) than the ones they were offering for sale in the catalogs and online.  Resourcefulness is next to Godliness, I always say!

Now, the incubator lives on my living room counter ready for eggs from Erma (The chicken, silly--doesn't every child name their chickens after their grandparents??? That's true love, I tell ya'!) that we'll all watch with bated breath until they hatch.  John Wesley, of course, will be the proud "Papa" Hen (or whatever), turning the eggs 3 times a day, and keeping track of the temperature and humidity.  We may have to wait till spring to begin our EGG-citing adventure.  I can't wait!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: