Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Luke 10:19

I almost forgot to tell this story.  I'm so glad I looked back through my Haiti pictures for the millionth time and saw these!  It's a story of God's protection.


We had gone to the Wahoo Bay beach/resort for the afternoon to do a little sighseeing and relaxing.  It was a gorgeous day; the weather was perfect and the humidity was not as bad as it had been earlier in the week.  In fact, on this day, there wasn't even any rain, and although it was a bit overcast at times, it was still beautiful!


We spent several hours just enjoying the sand, and the ocean.  John Wesley and several others from our team headed out on a boat like the one in the above picture to snorkel on the reef, while others of us hung out under the cabanas and read or talked (or snapped pictures).  Oh, and, of course, there were vendors there as well.  I had this man, Isaac, make personalized name bracelets for each of the kids.

 

But what sticks in my mind most from this day is what happened as we were leaving the beach to go back to the mission house.  There was an outside shower and I sat down on the rock wall to wait for the rest of the crew to get ready to go.  When I stood up, this is what we saw!!!


This little scorpion had been right behind my bare leg as I sat waiting for my friends!


A SCORPION!!!  Granted it was a small one, maybe only an inch or more, but from the big deal the local men made of killing it once we discovered it, I have a feeling it was big enough to do some damage if it had wanted to.  So, of course I had to have my picture taken with it!  Right?  When you survive an almost-scorpion-sting, it's customary to have your picture taken with the scorpion that almost stung you, right?


Anyway, as we drove back to the mission house, this verse kept running through my mind and I knew I had to share it here.  I can't believe I haven't done it sooner!

"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."        ~Luke 10:19

No comments: