Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Jonas' Birthday!


Jonas turned 11 a few weeks ago, and I've been looking and looking for the pictures to prove it.  Alas, they're nowhere to be found.  But it's true, he did indeed turn a year older.  He chose beef stew (I knew it would be either that or cincinnati chili with hot dogs and spaghetti noodles.) for his "special" meal and he asked me to make a chocolate mayonaise cake (one of our family favorites) for his birthday.  Because Grandpa's birthday is close to Jonas', we invited Mom and Dad over to share the evening.

This year Jonas has really stepped up to the plate and is beginning to take on much more responsibility on a day to day basis.  He is always faithful to do what I ask him to do (except on the rare occasion when he forgets, like 11 year olds are prone to do) and always willingly does all those "little extra" things I always seem to find that need to be done.  I love that every time he walks past me, he reaches out and touches me in some way, usually a pat on my arm or a quick back rub.

I've been missing Jonas the past few days.  He and Harold went to work on the disaster relief team that was sent to our nearby town to help with the flood damage relief effort. Every time I've spoken with Harold, he tells me that Jonas is being helpful and working hard.  I'm not surprised.


These aren't Jonas' birthday pictures, I snapped these as Jonas was coming back from the compost heap with his empty compost bucket.  That's one of his outside jobs now that there are no pigs to feed.  He "feeds" and turns the compost heap each day.  It's not glamorous, but he gets the job done!  He's learning to be faithful in the small things, so he'll be ready when the Lord sends the bigger things along.

In the meantime we get to look forward to another year of him being:

J - Joyful
O - Obnoxious (meant in the very best way one can be obnoxious!)
N - Noble
A - Affectionate
S - Smart

Yes, another year of him being...JONAS...simply himself, because he's just right and I wouldn't want him to be any different!  I'm so thankful to be his Momma and I couldn't be more proud of him!

No comments: