Sunday, July 18, 2010

51 Golden Years!


Today is Mom and Dad's 51st Anniversary!  51 YEARS!  That's a long time.  I'm so thankful that I was afforded the blessing of the parents I was given.  Now more than ever, I'm so aware of the rare gift of not just parents who have stayed together, but even moreso, parents who were HAPPY, who LOVE each other and who love each of their children.  I'm sure folks must wonder if after all this time, they have any hints or tips that would be helpful to the rest of us.  I know at least two of their secrets, so I'll go ahead and let you in on those.


#1:  Take every opportunity to share a private joke or a quick "goose" when you think no one else is looking--or even if they are looking, it doesn't matter. 

Yes, folks, even after 51 years, they still laugh, joke and flirt.  They are also the very definition of best friends.


#2:  Steal kisses several times a day. 

I remember growing up, everywhere they went, they either held hands or had their arms around each other.  I didn't realize then that other folks just didn't do that.  Looking back I realize what a gift those memories are.  Now MY children are blessed to have the memories of their grandparents continuing to act like newlyweds even after 51 years!

So, Mom and Dad, Happy Anniversary and thank you so much for loving each other, because in doing so, you have modeled love for all of us who have been blessed to witness the love you have for one another.  It is true that the best way to show love to your children is to love your spouse. 

No comments: