Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thankful...

Having been sick since last Friday, I've spent a lot of time sitting in the recliner, or laying on my bed thinking the thoughts that every mother thinks when she sits idle for more than a minute...
"I really need to be...putting away that stuff...washing that load of clothes...cooking dinner...doing those dishes...or whatever---ANYTHING besides just sitting/laying here doing nothing!" 
But with a fever of around 102, I just didn't feel like it.  So for the most part...I didn't.  And in the "not doing," there were so many blessings that made me thankful.
I'm thankful for a husband that is humble enough to change his plans and to change our kids' diapers and cook a meal (or 5) when "life" happens.  Keeping our crew clean and fed is nothing to sneeze at (I should know, right?)--and he does it well, and more importantly he does it willingly and with a sweet spirit.

I'm thankful for a Momma and Daddy living next door, who will step in to watch a couple (or 8) kids and do LOTS of laundry and drive me to the doctor and and and and......the list goes on!

I'm thankful for kids who will carry on with life and "do the next thing" even without me standing over them "cracking the whip."

I'm thankful for a beautiful daughter named Lena, who helped do a multitude of seemingly little errands a million times a day,  just so I didn't have to get up.

I'm thankful for a son named Jonas, who saw me standing over the sink of dishes and sidled close, putting his hand on my back, and said, "Momma, you want me to finish those for you?"

I'm thankful for a son named William, who made a delicious birthday cake (from scratch, even) for his brother, cause he knew his momma wasn't up to it.

I'm thankful for a son named Cody, who, walking in from outside, came close to my chair and sweetly asked, "How you feeling, Momma?" And I could see the concern in his face.

I'm thankful for a son named John Wesley, who put in my herb garden completely un-asked and supervised the putting-in of most of our veggie garden this past week, while still doing all the rest of his "jobs." 
The word "thankful" doesn't seem adequate to express how full my heart feels when I consider the blessings in my life!  Today the thing I'm so very thankful for is ANTIBIOTICS and that because of them, I'm feeling BETTER!  But I'm not gonna forget that there are blessings to be found in "not doing."  There's a reason the Word tells us to BE STILL and know that He is God. 

1 comment:

Mrs. Adams said...

Having face inconvenience of sickness with this last baby (all of them actually)....this really touched my heart....Lovely. :) Praise the Lord!