Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Farm-y News...

Yesterday, Harold took John Wesley to an ENT appointment while I took MaKenzie to a physical therapy appointment.  After our appointment, I got groceries.  After their appointment, they got a new goat.  She's pretty, but she doesn't have a name yet.  "Spot" is too obvious, and we can't all quite come to an agreement about anything else yet.
The garden is coming along nicely.  Much better than last year already.  Hopefully our heirloom tomatoes will take off and we'll have enough that I can can some.  We'll see...
 The corn's coming up.  We haven't grown corn in YEARS.  I didn't remember how fast it shoots up!
John Wesley did most of the planning and planting this year.  He does his research about what kinds of plants he wants to get and which he wants to grow from seed.  This year he's done a lot of reading about soil composition and what to add to make it just right.  (This was "for pleasure" reading.  Nothing to do with his school work.  I think I might have a farmer on my hands.)
Broccoli coming in. 
I had to take this picture because the fresh green color was too pretty to pass up.
As we walked through the garden this morning, I found myself humming the old hymn, "I come to the garden alone (although I really wasn't alone) while the dew is still on the roses (well, technically, in our garden, it's still on the broccoli and strawberries instead) but you get the point.
We have new ducklings.  They hatched yesterday.  The momma made her nest under a big old woodpile, so it's dark under there, but I lightened the picture a bit and you can just make out the duckling's little face if you look at the point of the arrow.  We're not sure how many there are yet.
In other, unrelated news, something DIED under our house or in our ductwork or in one of our closets or SOMEWHERE in the vicinity of our living room.  It's not pleasant, and we can't find the source.  I guess we'll have to wait until it's done stinking.  I wonder how long that takes?  Will home owner's insurance pay for a hotel room until whatever it is quits smelling up my house?  Maybe we'll move into the camper.

No comments: