Thursday, April 7, 2011

Perfect Imperfection...

This is the sign that hangs above my stove.  It's a reminder that truly, outside of my relationship with the Lord, my relationship with my family, those individuals with whom I spend all my days, is the only thing that will make a lasting impact.
Things like dresser drawers, broken from the strain of too many clothes and too much use by boys always in a hurry.
Dishes (always) piled high either clean and waiting to be put away, or dirty and waiting to be washed, but always asking for my attention (whether I choose to take care of it myself or delegate, then inspect).
A key on the piano they got me for my birthday a few years ago, broken by small hands playing happily, but a bit (or maybe a lot) too rough.
Permanent marker on my (gorgeous, and much-loved because it was given to me by Mom & Dad AND because it draws us all close at every meal) table.
The tine on one of my forks that is part of the set we received as a wedding gift, bent by brothers working on a project together and needing "just the right tool."
 A nice greasy smudge on my front door, courtesy of a curious, albeit messy, little one .
Baskets and bins of homeschooling materials, in my living room, in my kitchen, under my piano bench...just about everywhere.
Laundry, like the dishes, always piled high either wanting to be washed or folded or put away.  Usually taking up either my kitchen floor or my kitchen table.

All of these represent choices for me.   I can remember that these things, while potentially frustrating, are truly only temporal.  None of these things will matter in the long run.  Remembering that *in the moment* is the challenge, though.

I can get angry that the dresser drawer was broken, or I can be thankful for all those clothes that my busy boys hurriedly put away because they were so eager to get on to their next adventure.

I can get frustrated that those dishes never stop calling my name, or I can choose to be thankful that those dishes represent many meals, mostly eaten together with my family. 

I can get mad about that broken piano key, or I can choose to remember the happy "music" that was played by a child eager to create and to learn.

I can throw a fit because there is a permanent mark on the table I love, or I can remember that I love the person who (accidentally) wrote on it infinitely more and cherish the time he spent in our family.

I can be disappointed that the fork tine is bent, or I can purposely try to put that particular fork at my place every time I set the table just so I can remember how precious it is to me that my children find projects to do and work together to make their ideas work.

I can be irritated about the smudged window, or so very thankful that it was made by a little boy who never used to care about his environment at all, and is now curious and engaged.

I can complain that there are books everywhere, or I can be grateful for the fact that I have been blessed to be able to spend my days homeschooling my children, learning right along with them from all those books.

I can gripe about the clothes that never seem to stay in their closets and drawers, or I can thank the Lord for the family members who wear the clothes and thank God for His provision.  (I almost never have to buy clothes at full price.) 

Do I always make the right choice?  HA!  Not a chance!  But always in hindsight, I know the blessings that all of the imperfections represent, so I am thankful for them.  If my life were "perfect," imagine how much I would be missing out on!  Today, I choose to thank God for my perfectly imperfect life! 

No comments: