Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reason #2942 Why My Little House is PERFECT For Me...



So, if you've read here very often, you've probably noticed that I refer to our "not-so-temporary-itty-bitty-too-small-extra-tiny" house as my "Little House." I choose to find reasons it works, instead of reasons it doesn't. Frankly I don't have to try to find reasons it doesn't work--those are glaringly obvious.

One of my favorite examples of this fact is when my nephew was here visiting. He hadn't been here in a while, and when he came in he noticed I had moved a few things around, namely the microwave. It used to sit on top of my front loading dryer, which is in a corner of the kitchen. We got a new set (not front loading this time) and I needed to move the microwave to the counter beside the washer & dryer. The problem is that this counter space is not technically in my kitchen, it's right on the border line of being into my living room. Buy hey--I had no more counter space in my kitchen and this was what worked after we tried every other option, so we went with it. Anyway, "un-named" nephew comes in and looks around...before he even says, "Hi, Aunt Lori!" he announces, "Wow, that's an awkward place for your microwave!" LOL I had to agree with him. It is indeed.

As I said, the shortcomings of this little house are quite readily noticeable--even to a 7 year old. That is precisely why I am so quick to announce and focus on the things that make me say, "Oh, yeah! This wouldn't have been possible in a bigger/newer home." And today, I get to share with you exhibit A. The picture above is of ink--red ink, in case you hadn't noticed. A sizeable smear of red ink. And this is only one patch of it...there are more. This red ink is right in front of my refrigerator, which is right next to my kitchen sink, which also happens to be right next to my table. So, a high traffic, high visibility area for sure. And guess what, when that pen broke and I realized I may not ever be able to get that ink off my floor, I didn't even bat an eyelash. First, it was a true accident. Not even a careless one. A simple, unavoidable, freak accident--so how could I get mad at that anyway? But secondly--that floor??? How can you really ruin it? It doesn't really come totally clean anyway, no matter how hard or how often Cody or I mop! So what am I gonna do? Get mad just because I technically should probably not be happy about it? Heck no! I like RED! In fact, when I choose kitchen towels or bowls, etc, I usually choose red. So really, it's just an added unexpected colorful accent! A little unconventional perhaps, but this is the UNDERWOOD family, right?!?!?

Now, had this been a brand new hardwood floor, or expensive tile floor???? That may have upped the frustration level a few levels. But, in the long run...I'm glad it wasn't. Who needs the added stress? Certainly not ME! So, chalk one up for the Little House! (Not sayin' that the Big House won't be welcomed someday, but you know, contentment and all that....)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I thought there was blood on the floor. I love your 'tude'.
May God be glorified by it.

SoCal Kelly from TCL

Becca said...

I feel that way about our kitchen table. Darin's mom and I went garage-saling-sailing??? ;-) the summer Darin and I got married. We bought a table for 30 bucks. It's definitely early 80's - fake wood top and all that, but I can't imagine having a beautiful real-wood table with my crew! The one we have suits us just fine - along with our hand-me-down furniture. ;-)

MommaofMany said...

I had that same floor, except the little diamond was brown rather than blue. You are so right about it never coming clean. We sticky tiled over it eventually.

P.S. I'm glad it wasn't blood. I thought it was at first!