Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Garden...


Somebody asked me about the garden beds.  I meant to say yesterday, that each of the biggers got to choose what they are going to grow in their SFG (square foot garden) bed.  For example, Cody only wanted to grow carrots and some flowers.  John Wesley wants to grow about 50 different things (he's trying to scale it back--or he may borrow some space from Cody's carrot-bed).  Lena loves green peppers and tomatoes, so she will no doubt grow lots of those. 

We're trying to decide how to implement this, but the kids were to buy seeds themselves.  They could share the cost of the packet if more than one person wanted to grow the same item.  They will take care of their own SFG bed, and then when the produce is ready to be harvested, they can sell it to me.  I also have my own SFG bed where I can grow the stuff I want that nobody else is going to grow.

Now, whether or not it will go as smoothly as planned, we shall see.  But for now this is the plan.  It is entirely possible that we will change the plan as things progress, but that's life, right?  For now, we're just trying to keep the cat out of the plants when they're inside and the dogs out of the SFG beds outside!!!  We need to get a fence up soon.  Pretty soon, it'll be the goats in the beds outside eating all the plants--then I'll cry.

No comments: