Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mario & Luigi: On Parenting...

Several weeks ago, we (ahem, rather--someone who shall remain nameless) misplaced our BRAND NEW Super Mario Bros. for Wii game that we had only played a couple of times.

Today, in looking for our "Unreached People Groups" DVD for our Bible/Missions reading unit during school, we came across the game!  It had been put in a DVD case for a completely different movie. 

During lunch, we got out the Wii and I took a shot at it.  Oh.My.Goodness!!!  To say I stink at the game would be a gross understatement.  It was laughable.  The kids (including Lena) were trying to talk me through the moves I should make, telling me which direction to go, which buttons to push, which characters and areas to avoid.

I just COULD NOT make Mario do what I wanted him to do.  No matter how well they coached me.  No matter how great and spot on their instructions were.

They huffed and puffed.  They told me I was pitiful (which I knew--so it didn't hurt my feelings.)  They hollered.  Finally, at one point, William walked outside, unable to watch anymore.  Lena offered to just do it for me to get me through the level.

And it occurred to me...they were getting a glimpse of what it is to be a parent. 

We know how to navigate the things they are dealing with.  We see the pitfalls and the traps, and the shady characters that are lying in wait to do them harm.  We tell them, plead with them, to avoid all of those things.  But they won't/can't just let us "do this level" for them...they have to do it on their own.  And that's as it should be. 

Like them, I sometimes have to huff and puff and holler as I see them getting ready to run into obstacles; sometimes even cover my eyes 'cause it's just too doggone painful to watch them make mistakes I KNOW are coming up. 

In the end, I know...it's only this process of learning (mostly by experience...sometimes by listening and observing) where the "bad guys" are waiting and which features of the game (opportunities in real life) they can use for their advantage that will teach them and prepare them to someday slay the dragon and conquer the castle.  And that will be a day that will make me so proud.  (and relieved....)  

2 comments:

thebobletts said...

Wow that is so absolutely true Lori! It is so tough to watch them make mistakes but I know it is the only way to shape them into the person they are meant to be.

Mrs. Adams said...

You're awesome lady....very good...and so true...love ya...