Thursday, March 10, 2011

"G" is for Grain...

School with Jared and MaKenzie is so much fun! Homeschooling my kids, in general, has always been fun for me, but, with Jared and MaKenzie it's a bit different than it has been with the others. With the other kids, because they are mostly "typical" learners (at least close enough within the realm to be called so), I have been able to buy curricula ready-made that will work for them in each subject area. Not so with Jared and MaKenzie.
With Jared and MaKenzie, I get to make up the lessons in large part. Certainly, I have curricula that I use with them, but if I used it as intended (followed the lesson plans as prescribed), it would be much too fast-paced for them. The curriculum covers a letter every day or so. My kids need at least a week or so between letters. So, I "fill-in" using my own ideas, or with ideas I find online or from the suggestions of therapists.
 
The pictures on this post are from a fill-in day.  On this day, as I was thinking about what we could do, I was looking over the Bible story we were going to read. It happened to be about Joseph and his job helping to collect, store, and distribute food (grain) during the years of feast and famine in Egypt. The top picture is of Jared's coloring page. See the bags of grain? They reminded me of the buckets of grain I have in my pantry.  That sparked the idea to create a worksheet with the letter "G" and let the kids use glue to stick wheat berries (grain) to the glue in the shape of the letter to form a "G." 

Besides reviewing the letter "G" for the millionth day (not really, it only seems that way...) we also practiced writing (pre-writing/tracing/air-writing), counted items, played a letter matching game, reviewed all of our other letters by finger-tracing our sand paper letters, talked about the color blue (colors are still a little iffy on some days for them), and, of course, we read the story about Joseph distributing the "GRAIN" and being reunited with his family.  I think Jared only interrupted me about 15 times to ask about the pictures today!  Seriously, though, what a privilege for me!  I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend these times with my kids.  It's definitely a huge responsibility--one that keeps me on my knees--but that's a good thing, right?

No comments: