Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Jared is EIGHT!!!!

I can hardly believe that Jared has turned eight years old!  I know I say that about every birthday for every child, but it just seems like the world just moves so fast!  Before I know it, they're all going to be grown!  I'm so thankful to get to celebrate all their milestones and birthdays--so thankful they are healthy and happy.  I just wish it didn't all go so fast!  Anyway...Jared's birthday was a couple days ago and he was so excited about it!  This was the first year that he comprehended what it meant to have a birthday coming up, so that was a  HUGE milestone in itself--the fact that he UNDERSTOOD that "birthday" meant he could expect presents, a cake, and all that hoopla is a BIG DEAL!  YAY Jared!!!
When I got ready to wrap Jared's presents I realized I'd forgotten to buy wrapping paper.  So we improvised.  I had the kids cut up brown paper bags and gave them the orange duct tape.  I love it and of course, Jared could care less what everything is wrapped in--he just wants to know WHAT'S INSIDE! 
Jared was very happy to find that he actually HAD presents!  The night before his birthday, he was so afraid that I had forgotten to buy him presents.  As he was saying goodnight to John Wesley,  he said "John Lesley (that's how he says John Wesley's name), my birfday's amorrow.  Mommy got me no pwesents."  We all tried to assure him that mommy and daddy always get presents for birthdays, but he wasn't convinced.  Needless to say, he was excited as he opened his gifts!
John Wesley wrapped this present a little too tightly...he might have a little of his Grandpa Smith in him.  (wink, wink)  William made it easier on him and used only a little tape!
 Lena and Jared.  Love their smiles!
I think it's hilarious how Matthew is looking around John Wesley to see what's going on!  His eyes are looking a little mischievous, as if he has a plan...he just might.
Jared played with his trains for the rest of the day!  No kidding, when he gets interested in something, he doesn't quit!
I made the laziest cake ever!  I bought a cake at the grocery store and put a couple pieces of track on top, then put one of his trains on the tracks.  Add some sparkler candles, and Voila'...a festive cake!  Festive and EASY for me since I hadn't been feeling the greatest for a few days.
One of Grandma and Grandpa's gifts to Jared was the Misty Island Rescue movie that Jared had been anxious to see (and we've watched it now about a hundred times)!  That's actually another milestone.  Jared had been at Grandma and Grandpa's house and seen the commercials for "Misty Island Rescue" toys and actually said he wanted them.  He's listening and understanding so much more nowadays.  He hears the commercial and understands that perhaps HE can have that toy/see that movie/whatever.  It's not just something on TV anymore, he can relate it to himself.  That's progress!
Anyway...back to the birthday!  Usually Jared's the one who starts the "Happy Birthday" song when folks around here have a birthday, so without him singing we were a little slow getting the song started, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.  Jonas helped him blow out his sparkler candles.  He kept getting his face right down in the fire!  I was afraid he was going to burn his cute little nose off!
Jared sure enjoyed his day--and we all enjoyed celebrating him!  What better reason to celebrate than his precious eight years--even more precious when I remember what could've been had God not allowed him to survive and heal!  He is EIGHT years old.  What a blessing he is to this family--especially this momma!  Happy Birthday my sweet boy!  May you have many many more!

1 comment:

Mrs. Adams said...

Oh my goodness...You could see how happy he was about everything...
I LOVE the duct tape...and for as much as I joke about my dad and the "smith" wrapping paper...Dad's most famous wrapping paper...is a walmart bag...yes, the see-through plastic kind..
Jared...I just can't believe he is this old now....time flies..and I so happy for you guys..
HEY THAT CAKE IS GREAT!!!