Tuesday, June 16, 2009

If anyone is still reading this...

I've decided to continue the blog as a way to preserve memories. Resigning myself, not regretfully, to the fact that regular scrapbooking isn't part of this reality that Harold and I have joyfully chosen; I think that blogging is a suitable alternative to scrapbooking in many ways.

Blogging facilitates preservation of memories (allowing for extended journaling--which makes my wordy self happy) combined with pictures--and it's quicker. It is an undeniable benefit that blogging can be done between math problems or while I wait for the water to boil. Granted, it's not as pretty and I don't get to catch up on the "news" with fellow scrappers while we work; but that's a trade that I am willing to make for this season of my life. There's also the added benefit that grandparents, aunts & uncles, and friends we don't get to see very often can keep up with what's going on, if they want, even though my main goal is to preserve our days for my own sadly deficient memory.


I was going through some old photos and found this picture of Jonas wearing this shirt (taken about a year & a half ago). I had bought it for John Wesley about 7 years ago. Faded and nearly threadbare in some places, it finally made it's way down from John Wesley, to Cody, to William, and finally a couple years ago, to Jonas. A couple weeks ago, right after we got back from vacation, Jonas and I were doing our twice-a-year clothing perusal, and he held up this shirt. He said, "Mom, I've outgrown my favorite shirt." I asked him which shirt he meant, and he thrust it at me. For some reason, that made me feel so good.

Never a truer shirt sentiment was writ. Indeed, I *DO* have the best job in the whole wide world!


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Lori you and Harold have the best calling in the world and a one of many, many benefits. I am glad that you are continuing your blog, because I love your children, and love seeing and reading all the amazing things that they are up too! What a great alternative for this phase in your life of "scrapbooking." Hopefully someday our paths will cross in person as well! We love and think of you all often!

Connie and Tim

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing- it's a blessing and encouragement to read your comments.

Susan

Great Aunt Robyn said...

I will be here often. We have some upcoming camping trips planned for Paintsville Lake in 3,5,7,9 weekends. We will see you then for a cookout. Love, GAR

Lori in KY said...

Connie--You love my children? What about me???? Don't you love ME??? :)

Susan--I'm glad you read here. It keeps us in touch! :)

Robyn--Be sure to email me when specifically you'll be here!

Connie said...

Okay, Lori, don't you know that loving your children means I had to love you first (and I still do), I guess I have to, your my sister!!! Remember??????

thebobletts said...

We are so happy you are continuing your blog. Now we can really keep up with what is going on with the family. You should come on over and visit our blog too:)