Monday, October 27, 2014

William's Driving Solo!

Okay, I need to have a chat with whoever it was that kept telling me that being a parent would get easier as my kids got older!  It's just not true.
Since January (or so) of last year, I've been driving into town 3-4 evenings a week (sometimes more often depending on the rehearsal schedule) to deliver William and sometimes Lena to dance classes and Cody and Jonas to martial arts classes.  It has become my routine.  Hurry up and finish everything I need to accomplish (or don't) by 3:15, make sure Harold, Mom, or John Wesley is here to watch the other kids (or load some up to ride along), and head out the door.  And that was my evening.  We'd get home between 7:30 and 9:30 pm. 
Today, that routine has changed.  I'm still trying to talk myself into being happy about it, but so far I'm not doing a very good job.  William got his license today.  3:00 rolled around and I wasn't scurrying around to get ready because William and Lena were heading to the car ON THEIR OWN--without ME.  I found myself doing the weird mom thing, telling him where to put his cell phone so it wouldn't fly away from him and be unreachable in the event of the unthinkable.  (Hey, I know it's morbid, but you never know...) Harold quickly added, "Just put it in the center console that closes.  That way WHEN the car rolls, it'll be safe till you come to a stop."  I really DID NOT need that visual!
As William and Lena headed out the door, of course, I followed close behind with my camera (and Jared) to document the bittersweet moment.  William and Lena were admonishing me to hurry so they wouldn't be late, while Jared was hollering from the porch, "William, be careful with my sister!!!!"  Indeed, all you other drivers out there in the big wide world, be careful!  I have precious children out there.  John Wesley has been driving for a couple years now and I still don't sleep well until I know he's in for the night!  Being a mom DOESN'T really get easier, just hard in a different way!  I'll be way relieved when they get back home tonight safe and sound.  Until then, I know nothing will happen to them that God hasn't approved.  So, they're in good hands.  (I can still stress about it a little, though, right?)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Lori, I surely never told you it gets easier. When they get older and leave home is when it gets harder because you don't know what is going on in their life -are they sick, hurt, have enough money, happy or unhappy. You just have to trust the Lord and wait for a phone call -or call them yourself.