Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012...

Ah, Valentine's Day!  It's one of my most very favorite holidays.  I think it's because it doesn't have the pressure surrounding it that Christmas does.  Christmas equals stress for me.  But Valentine's Day?  Valentine's Day is all about the fun.  And it doesn't have to be expensive fun, either.  Although, in years past, I have found myself shelling out BIG bucks for huge piles of candy and fancy-schmancy cards.  Not this year.
In fact, this year, a couple of my kids even said to me, "Mom, I hope you're not going to go out and bring home tons of junk food this year."  How can I argue with that?  One of the benefits of me eating healthier these past few months is that my kids have begun being more aware of their own food choices.  I love that!  So, for the kids who I knew still needed some sweets to make them agree to being my Valentine, I still bribed them with sweets.  For the ones who wouldn't consider being my Valentine if I sugar-coated it, I kept it all-natural.   This morning, they woke up to a corny (cheap, printed at home) Valentine greeting at their place at the table along with ONE treat, not tons of treats! 
As they ate breakfast, I declared Valentine's Day a fun day and told them we would put off schooling for the day as long as they promised to play games and watch movies all day.  It was a hard bargain, but they finally agreed.  I know I'm such a dictator!  Then, for lunch (always served on the heart plates on Valentine's Day), I put my new Pinterest obsession to work and made the ham and swiss sliders I had pinned a few days ago, along with Paula Deen's homemade mac-n-cheese.  Yum.  A Happy Valentine's Day all around.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My "Amazing" wife is the bestest in the whole world. I am so thankful for her and really appreciate how she provides the "warmth' in our family. Without her, our kids would never see any of these thoughtful, neat, little things that mean so much. Honey, you are the bestest of the best! Thanks for all you do. I think I should have taken the day off and stayed at home yesterday. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Love you,

Me