Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Froggy went a courtin'...


Today was our homeschool group's meeting.  We got to dissect a frog!  Notice I say "we"!  I think I learned as much as the kids did.  I dissected a frog in high school, but it was way more interesting to do this with my kids.



John Wesley and his partner were dissecting poor "Stevie."


Here you can see the frog after the incisions have been made through the skin and the muscle layers, exposing the internal organs.  Did you know that a frog's internal organs are laid out much the same as a human's?  I learned that today.  The yellow stringy stuff you see is fat. 


Cody and William ended up being partners.  Their froggy, "Archibald," was quite the willing specimen.  They sure were engrossed in their discoveries.


Jonas and his partner did a great job dissecting "Frankie the Frog."  Above, you can see all the organs removed and labeled neatly.


"Archibald" (William and Cody's specimen) had evidently eaten not too long before he met his untimely demise.  When Cody and William opened up his stomach, they found a mostly intact beetle with pinchers.  Very cool.

Next month at our homeschool group, we'll be dissecting an owl pellet.  Bet you can't wait, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori -That was really neat. I bet the boys just loved it. It's right down their alley. Make sure that Connie Belcher gets to see these!!
I really enjoy your blogs!
Love ya
Mom

Becca said...

Okay. Ick. ;-) Lovely pics. lol

Unknown said...

I dissected an owl pellet before. We had a print out of a rat skeleton and we taped all the different rat bones to the paper. A couple of us were able to put together a whole rat. It was very interesting. I enjoyed you frog pictures!! Thanks for posting.